Do you need a Litigation Lawyer in Burlington or Halton?
Below are some common litigation terms.
Common Civil Litigation Terms
Below you will find common terms that come up in a civil litigation, employment law and personal injury case.
- Litigation: suing someone through the court process.
- Rules of Civil Procedure: the rules for how things are done through the court process
- Rules of Small Claims Court: the rules for how things are done through the small claims court process. Slightly different from regular cases.
- Statement of Claim: the document that is the actual lawsuit. Filed at court and served on the other party.
- Notice of Action: a notice that a lawsuit will be started. Filed at court. Different timelines versus the statement of claim.
- Statement of Defence: the document the defendant prepares, serves and files at the court listing out his or her version of events.
- Jury Notice: letting the court know whether you want a trial by jury.
- Notice of Intent to Defend: Different from a statement of defence
- Examination for Discovery: an opportunity for a party involved with the litigation to examine the other side by asking them questions.
- Mediation: a common method used to resolve disputes.
- Pre-Trial Conference: the final stage before a trial. Very similar to a mediation however it`s with a judge.
- Trial: the actual trial
Back to Civil Litigation Home page.
DO YOU NEED A LITIGATION LAWYER IN BURLINGTON ONTARIO?
Call our law office today to speak with one of our Burlington Civil Lawyers. We provide civil law services in Halton and Burlington.
901 Guelph Line, Burlington, ON?