Do you need a?Litigation Lawyer in Burlington or Halton??
Below are some common litigation terms.
Common Civil Litigation Terms
Below you will find common terms that come up in a civil litigation, employment law and personal injury case.
- Litigation: suing someone through the court process.
- Rules of Civil Procedure: the rules for how things are done through the court process
- Rules of Small Claims Court: the rules for how things are done through the small claims court process. Slightly different from regular cases.
- Statement of Claim: the document that is the actual lawsuit. Filed at court and served on the other party.
- Notice of Action: a notice that a lawsuit will be started. Filed at court. Different timelines versus the statement of claim.
- Statement of Defence: the document the defendant prepares, serves and files at the court listing out his or her version of events.
- Jury Notice: letting the court know whether you want a trial by jury.
- Notice of Intent to Defend: Different from a statement of defence
- Examination for Discovery: an opportunity for a party involved with the litigation to examine the other side by asking them questions.
- Mediation: a common method used to resolve disputes.
- Pre-Trial Conference: the final stage before a trial. Very similar to a mediation however it`s with a judge.
- Trial: the actual trial.
Call our?law office?today to speak with one of our?Burlington Civil Lawyers. ?We provide civil?law services in Halton and Burlington.?
901 Guelph Line, Burlington, ON?